Sunday, September 13, 2015

Nail Polish Stress Test: Colour Prevails Date Night

Colour Prevails is a relatively new line sold at Walgreen’s. At $8 for a bottle that’s half the size of a standard bottle of polish, my expectations are very high. It’s also comparable to brands like Essie in that they never ever seem to go on sale. Because of this, I didn't purchase any at first, but after a while, my curiosity got the better of me. I chose Date Night as my test subject.

First of all, I want to talk about the bottle. As you can see, the cap has an unusual design. The idea is to give you more control when applying polish. I get what they’re trying to do. Oddly enough, I found it awkward to use. I actually ended up holding the bottle below the butterfly wing so I could apply the polish the way I'm used to. I know there’s a proper way to hold it and all, but should I really have to use Google to figure out how to hold a nail polish cap? For me this was the equivalent of trading in a fork and knife for a pair of chopsticks. My understanding is that the butterfly wing can be pulled off the cap, but mine seemed to be on very tightly.


The other minor gripe I have, is that the entire bottle has a safety seal on it. I do like the idea, but the plastic is thick enough that it makes the polish harder to see clearly. I wish they'd found a way to do that so it didn't cover the whole thing.

On to the polish. Date Night is a metallic bronze color. Cap issues aside, it went on nicely. I only needed two coats for full coverage, so I hit it with my usual coat of Seche Vite and called it done.

I couldn’t get this to water marble, but it stamped great! I have to note though, the cap is definitely a problem. Anyone who stamps knows that you need to work fairly quickly. I found it hard to put the brush back in the bottle quickly since the weight on the cap isn’t equally distributed. Definitely take the wing part off if you plan to use this in nail art.

So, how did it hold up?

It lasted a solid three days before I felt it was time to take it off. Keep in mind that if it lasts three days on me, it will last even longer on someone who doesn't work in a warehouse like I do.


Verdict: Excellent

Even though I’m not a fan of the fancy cap, the polish itself was great. The fact that it’ll stamp makes it even better. This was definitely a worthy purchase, and I plan to go back and see what else this brand has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear this lasted so long! I found the wing cap to be awkward too, but I can see people who have probs putting on nail polish liking it maybe. Looks like a smooth formula to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! I'm definitely happy with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.