Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Nail Polish Stress Test: Profusion Sugar Lacquer Set

Profusion is an interesting company. Their shtick is making really cheap cosmetics, usually eye shadow or lip gloss. A lot of their packaging mimics other companies’ products.

When I came across this set at TJ Maxx, I was quite curious as the packaging and product design was very similar to the Physicians Formula set I reviewed not too long ago. They even used the same interlocking bottle concept. I figured, what the heck, give it a try!

I decided to go for a set with a metallic dark blue, silver, and a purple jelly with purple glitter.


First and foremost, I need to address the biggest problem I had with this set: The bottles themselves. Simply put, they suck. The brushes will not stay in the cap. I had this problem with all three polishes. Even worse, one of the brushes actually fell out while I was using it.


Normally I would do a shot with nail art, and then stress test the polishes on their own. I’m not going to do that this time as there’s too high a risk of this polish making a mess I don’t want to clean up.

The formula was pretty good on these, I could have gotten the job done at two coats, but I went with three for all the colors. I was a little disappointed that the glitter in the purple polish was hard to see. The jelly base is pretty dark.

It water marbles well too, even the purple glittery one. I usually don’t have good luck getting glitter to play nice in the water, so that was a nice surprise.

 
Does it stamp? Yes. The silver did the best by a long shot. The purple and blue didn’t stamp as well as I had expected. Oddly enough the color from the purple and blue bled into the silver after the fact.
 

The polish held up pretty well. It lasted a full day of work with some tip wear, but nothing major.

Verdict: Unacceptable

The polish itself is good. Having the caps come off the bottles without the brush is not. Brushes falling out while in use is a whole other thing. I’m giving them the lowest rating to date because no one should have to protect their work area and wear a smock just to do their nails. Do not buy this!

It’s a crying shame really. The best polish in the world is useless if the bottles they’re in self destruct. They could have been a contender!

3 comments:

  1. Profusion makes those BB lip balms aka Baby Lips clones that I see at the dollar store and fear to try LOL How much did the set cost? Hate to see decent nail polish end up in a bad bottle. :( I wonder if you could just glue the brush to the cap and that might help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also with a name like sugar lacquer, I was kinda hoping that this was textured. :( Oh well, I can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm embarrassed to admit I don't exactly remember. :/ I forgot to save the receipt on this one. I'm pretty sure it cost about $4 at the most. If the bottles had been okay I would have rated it Good, so I don't feel any pressing urge to fix the bottles. I have the same polish in other brands.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.