Sunday, August 23, 2015

Nail Polish Stress Test: Color Club Burnt Out

Color Club has been producing “microbatches” of limited series polishes. What does that mean? From what I can tell, it means the only place they can be purchased is on Color Club’s website, and good luck getting it on sale.

I’ve been ogling their latest microbatch, the Oil Slick collection. I wasn’t sure about spending $10 on it though, especially since the description and product photo seemed to be ambiguous. Then just in time for Independence Day, there was a 25% off sale. Gimme!

Burnt Out is a fascinating duochrome polish. It has more color shift to it than one usually sees in this type of polish. I saw it shift from a rose red, to copper, to green to gold, not unlike the colors of fall leaves. This is definitely a polish that will attract attention. A couple random ladies actually asked me where I got this one from! Driving while wearing this polish is risky. The urge to admire the color shift as the light changes is nearly irresistible

Application was a breeze. I got full coverage in only two coats! One coat of Seche Vite on top and I was good to go.

Burnt Out stamps beautifully and will also water marble……as long as you do it over black polish. I tried it on a bunch of different colors, maroon, beige, dark brown,  white, hunter green….the polish just didn’t stand out enough in my eyes, unless it was on black. The fact that it stamped on anything was pretty impressive though. In my experience duochromes generally aren’t good for that.

So how did it hold up?

Beautifully! It lasted a solid three days before I felt like it needed to come off.

Verdict: Excellent

If you like duochromes, fall colors, or polish that will attract attention, you need Burnt Out. Even though it’s challenging to use in nail art, it’s got plenty going for it on its own. I know I need to buy more from this series the next time a good sale opportunity comes up!  

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.