It’s not completely clear (no pun intended) how this is
supposed to work. I asked the associate on duty, who genuinely had no idea
either. There are no instructions on the bottle to provide guidance. She
thought it was supposed to change like a thermal polish once it was applied
based on the sticker on the cap.
That's a reasonable guess. However, it turns
out this is a sheer white polish that’s meant to be layered to create an ombre
effect.
I got out my bottle of Ulta Blue Holiday, my go to
polish for testing out top coats. I used two coats of Blue Holiday, and then
applied three coats of Ombre Top Coat.
Here’s what it looked like after I tried making an ombre
mani.
It took me three tries to get these mediocre results. I started
out with two coats of Blue Holiday, then layered three coats of Ombre
Top Coat over that. The polish really doesn't really start building up
until at least the second coat, and the glossiness of the finish makes
it ever harder to see. I had hoped the darker polish would make the
effect more pronounced, but no such luck.
This is not a fast dry top coat, so it took ages for it to dry. I’m so spoiled on using Seche Vite on everything that I forgot I actually had to wait with this one. Whoops! I also found I needed to let each coat dry before I applied the next one. This stuff definitely requires patience. It does look nice and shiny though.
This is not a fast dry top coat, so it took ages for it to dry. I’m so spoiled on using Seche Vite on everything that I forgot I actually had to wait with this one. Whoops! I also found I needed to let each coat dry before I applied the next one. This stuff definitely requires patience. It does look nice and shiny though.
So, how did it hold up?
Being as this is a top coat, and a sheer one at that, it's useless for stamping and water marbling. I tried using it with nail vinyls to see if I could get the ombre effect to be more pronounced. Nope! The only thing that was more distinct was how hard this polish fails. If I used more than one coat, it built up too much and pooled in the vinyl and by my cuticle. Air bubbles, yay! No nice clean lines either.
Verdict: Loser Polish
If I were to rate this strictly on the basis of durability, this would be Good. However, I
don’t recommend buying it, especially at its full price of $5.50. If you want to do an ombre effect mani, I
would say either use a regular sheer polish that has a use on its own, or go
with three shades of the same color. This top coat requires too many layers to
do its one job, and by that point it’s just not practical. Pass on this one.




Well, this looks like someone could throw white polish into top coat and make something similar. I get what they were trying to do, but maybe it needs to be tried on different colors to see which one works the best for the ombre effect? The green polish seemed promising so maybe lighter colors? I can't really tell on the blue b/c of the shine.
ReplyDeleteIt showed up on the green more because I ended up using more. That was a case of "what do I need to do to make this work?" I think I need to edit that a bit to make it clearer what I did with the blue. Ooops. :(
DeleteI have never tried this product yet, all ombre/ gradient designs I prefer to do by myself :)
ReplyDeleteI'd say that's the way to go! :)
DeleteI wish I had read this before I payed $5.50 plus Texas sales tax for the bottle.
ReplyDelete