Sunday, January 3, 2016

Nail Polish Stress Test: Azature Pink Diamond

Happy New Year! Let’s start 2016 with some bling, shall we?

The first time I'd heard of Azature nail polish was in 2013 when they featured a bottle of polish costing one million dollars created to raise money for charity. I later learned they sold more affordable polishes costing $25 apiece. That’s WAY out of my price range, so I passed on them until I learned they occasionally do some nice sales. I was able to score a few bottles for $6. One of them is today’s subject, Pink Diamond.

The gimmick behind Azature polishes is that each bottle contains a real black diamond. This does not impress me as common sense says nobody is going to grind up a valuable gem and dump it into nail polish. What does impress me is the sparkle this polish has. Pink Diamond is a really pretty bubblegum  pink jelly with tons of silver microglitter. It’s the blingiest non holographic polish I have, and was just about as challenging to photograph as Bonita’s Golden Girl. The formula was very smooth and easy to work with. I was able to get full opacity in three coats. It was a little rough when it dried, but after I added my usual coat of Seche Vite, it was nice and glossy. 


Pink Diamond won’t stamp, and as a lighter colored jelly glitter, it didn’t water marble either. It’s a shame; that would have looked awesome!

So, did black diamonds make this polish last longer?


Nope! It only went two days before I had some big chips.

Verdict: Good

Had I spent $25 on this, I would have been pissed. At that price, I expect more. Lots more. At $6, I’m a bit disappointed it didn’t do better, but at the same time, I’m really not their target customer. This polish is selling a concept of luxury in a bottle. It's still beautiful and I'm totally keeping it.

Also! If you plan to shop for their polish, maybe don’t do it online from work. If you go through their main page, it looks like they’re selling something else that might get you in trouble with your boss! Here’s a direct link to Pink Diamond that’s safe.

EDIT:  Use caution when viewing their Instagram page too! Yowza!

EDIT 2: Er, use caution following them on social media in general! I saw the same racy pic hit Instagram, Facebook AND Twitter this week. 

4 comments:

  1. This color is too pretty! Great review, especially the NSFW website warning (been there at work and learned the hardway NOT to do it). I was wondering if they actually grind up the diamond, but I just read they actually put in a 1.2mm black diamond in each bottle which I guess is slightly better than grinding it up but still seems gimmicky/pointless to me. If it causes the cost to go down, I vote leave it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      Wait, what? They just drop one in the bottle? I agree, that's just pointless. It occurs to me that when I was swatching a different Azature, I ended up with a lump in it. I wonder if that was the diamond? XD

      Delete
  2. beautiful and delicate shade of pink :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.