Monday, July 13, 2015

App Stress Test: Snupps (iOS/Android)

One of the challenges of having a big polish collection is trying to not buy the same thing twice. My memory is quite good, but on occasion, I’ve accidentally bought a dupe or two. I’ve also held off on buying something because I was pretty sure I had something similar. I’m at the point where I need to catalog what I have in some way.

Recently, I heard about the Snupps app, and it sounded like it’d be just what I needed, so I thought I’d give it a try. This review is based on my using the app over the course of a few weeks, to be sure updates and such didn’t change my opinions.

With Snupps, you can take a picture (or use one you already have) of whatever it is you collect, label it, and sort it into different folders the app calls Shelves. You can have an item on more than one Shelf, and there’s plenty of opportunity to get as detailed as you want.


What I Liked:
  •  Creating new entries is easy. You can either do this in batches, or one at a time.
  •  You can sort entries in batches as well.
  • Your entries are not stored on your device, so this won’t eat up big blocks of memory.
  •  Snupps has a sharing function, which can be useful. For instance, if you know someone who wants to shop for you, but doesn’t want to buy something you already have, they can double check your collection first.
  •  This is a free app that doesn’t have annoying ads all over it.
  •  Your collection can be synched across devices.

What I Didn’t Like:
  • You need to keep those batches small. I found if I tried to do more than seven at a time, the app would crash and I had to do it over.
  • The way you select which Shelf an item is going to can be problematic. You have to tap on the list to access it, then tap the Shelves you want. I found that on occasion, it’d register a double tap, leading to something being shelved where I didn’t want it. I’d like to see an “are you sure?” function added so I don’t have to go and double check what I just did. 


  • As your entries are stored in the cloud, you can’t access it if you have no signal or Wi-Fi. I’d like the option to either store everything on my device or store it in the cloud.
  •  Autocorrect can be annoying. I would have to reenter names more than once because it doesn’t understand I really meant to type what I did. 

  • The app will sign you out when it updates.

Verdict: Good

In spite of its annoyances, Snupps is a useful app. Once I got the bulk of my stash Shelved, I found adding more polishes as I bought them to be pretty easy. I think this is useful for someone who is starting to accumulate, but could be frustrating for someone starting off with a big collection. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'll check this out b/c I REALLY need something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is good application.i dont go shopping with my small notebook, i stoped buying the same nail polishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha it's embarrassing when I do that. Lucky for me, I have friends that are willing to take the extras off my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.