Silver Scallop is from Sally Hansen’s Pearl Crush line. The
collection as a whole is pretty, but this one really stands out on the display.
It’s a gray tinted base with duochrome shimmer that changes from pink to green.
It also has big iridescent hex glitter and glitter shards in it.
Application is…challenging. The instructions on the bottle
say to dab on one coat, wait a minute, then dab on a second coat. That makes
sense in that the big honking pieces of glitter clearly aren’t coming out of
that bottle without a fight. However, when I followed the instructions, I ended
up with a total of three pieces of glitter on my nails, and a mani full of air
bubbles.
I decided to try applying it using the traditional method. I
got maybe six pieces of glitter, and the polish looked good, so I rolled with
it. I used three coats, plus my usual layer of Seche Vite.
The glitter itself is fascinating. It doesn’t look like it should, but it does lay flat on the nail. Depending on how the light hits, it can either look awesome like water droplets, or super trashy.
Silver Scallop definitely won’t stamp or water marble. It’d
be easy to blame it on the glitter, but the reality is it’s just too sheer.
So, how did it hold up?
It did great! Totally didn’t expect that. It lasted three
days, and even then, I had to look for the damage. The color made chips hard to
spot, which is always a good thing! I lost most of the glitter while I was at
work, which didn’t particularly bother me.
Just for fun, I tried sponging it on to see if I could get
more glitter that way. My conclusion? Don’t bother. This also makes the finish
look awful, and in my opinion, more glitter doesn’t help here.
Verdict: Excellent
I didn’t expect this polish to last as long as it did! The problem here is with the glitter. Maybe if they’d used the same type but smaller, it would have worked out better. Maybe they’re going with the idea that you don’t get a fistful of pearls out of an oyster, so you get the proportionate amount of glitter here? I couldn’t tell you. I kinda wish they had the glitter in its own clear base.
With that said, even if the concept has flaws, the polish is sound.



I love sparkly polishes and this one is really beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteIt sold out right after I bought it! The glitter really has to be seen in person to truly appreciate it. :)
ReplyDelete