The first thing I did was try to paint polish directly onto
one of them. BIG MISTAKE. Nail polish will cause Styrofoam to melt. Crud. Lesson
learned. At this point I actually abandoned the whole decorating with polish
thing for several months until I happened to stumble across a blog post explaining
that if you coat Styrofoam with Mod Podge, you can paint it with whatever you
want. The important thing is to check the bottle or their website first to make sure it’s
the right type. I went with the glossy kind to I could make sure I could
see where I’d painted since Styrofoam is not shiny.
The process of coating the ornaments with Mod Podge took a
couple days. I painted one side of each ornament at a time, let it dry for
several hours, and then painted the other side. It only really needs about half
an hour, but I found if I waited a while longer, they didn’t feel so tacky. I
used two coats to ensure I didn’t miss any spots. I didn’t want to ruin any
more of these babies! I used some cheapo paint brushes, and had no problems.
I tried painting the remains of the one I wrecked with polish to see how it looked. It was okay, but I knew I could do better. What would look better? Stamping!
I busted out the Metallic
Red Cherimoya polish I reviewed a little while a got and gave it a try. It
worked without a hitch! I stamped directly onto the Mod Podge using a non sticky
rectangular
stamper I got from Bundle Monster. This really worked well, and made it
easy to keep the designs lined up. I used stamping buffet style plates for the most
part, and used designs where it was okay if there was some overlap. I also used
a couple Bundle Monster stamping
polishes for the others as I wanted nice vibrant color. Each star took
about half an hour to stamp. I did have some empty spaces, which I filled in by
dabbing on polish with a makeup sponge – the same kind you’d use to do a
gradient.
Here’s how they all looked when I was done.
I’m really happy with how these came out. I think I’m going
to hate taking my tree down!
I hope you all have a great holiday, no matter what you celebrate.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.